The Village of Cleveland has its roots in three small communities along the shores of Lake Michigan.
The village of Centerville, which was named for its location halfway between Manitowoc and Sheboygan, was established by the 1850s. In 1856, the village of Centerville was renamed Hika.
Two miles west of Hika, a settlement named St. Wendel was established. In 1880, the area between Hika and St. Wendel was named Cleveland.
In 1958, Cleveland, Hika, and St. Wendel were incorporated into the village of Cleveland, in the Town of Centerville.
For more information, see the Manitowoc County Historical Society: